Don’t leave home without:
- Extra halter and lead rope for each horse, for off-loading in an emergency.
- Emergency flares and reflector triangles.
- Flashlight (rechargeable, with an adapter that fits vehicle cigarette lighter).
- Jumper cables and spare fuses.
- Spare tires, jack, chock blocks, torque wrench, and WD-40 for changing tires.
- Tool kit-crowbar, hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers.
- Duct tape, for covering sharp edges in a damaged trailer and other uses.
- Fire extinguisher. (Make sure it’s pressurized.)
- Horse and human first-aid kits.
- Cell phone and phone numbers.
Karen E.N. Hayes is an Idaho-based equine practitioner.
This article first appeared in the May 2001 issue of Horse & Rider magazine.