ABOUT THE BUSINESS
- How long have you been in business?
- Can you provide references?
- Do you offer a written satisfaction guarantee?
- Do you have a state license and, if applicable, a permit for riding through private and/or public land?
- Do you have any age restrictions?
- What are your equine-health requirements?
- Have horses at the stable had any recent bouts of illness that could be contagious?
ABOUT RATES & DATES
What are your deposit, refund, cancellation, and payment policies, including the types of payments accepted?
What are your rates, and what do they include?
What extras are available, and what do they cost?
Do you offer discounts for seniors, children, groups, non-riders, off-season dates, etc.?
Which dates have enough open spaces to accommodate me and my travel companions?
Do you have a minimum-stay requirement?
How far in advance should I make reservations?
ABOUT ACCOMMODATIONS & SERVICES
What type of lodging do you offer?
What’s your meal plan?
How close is emergency medical assistance?
How close are veterinary and farrier services?
What are the horse accommodations like?
Is feed available on the premises?
Are feed, stabling, and stall-cleaning extra or included in the rate?
What non-riding activities do you offer?
Do you offer childcare?
ABOUT THE RIDE
What’s the usual ride itinerary?
How many hours per day will we ride?
What’s the terrain like?
What’s the ride pace?
What are the challenge level and skill requirements?
What’s the weather like?
What equipment do I need to bring for my horse and myself, and what will you provide?
Are riding trails on the property? If not, can I easily ride to them or do I need to trailer to them?
This article first appeared in the March, 2002 issue of Horse & Rider magazine.